This course provides students with an overview of the assumptions, methodological approaches, and data analysis of qualitative and quantitative research. Qualitative and quantitative research studies are critiqued to determine their quality, and findings are analyzed for application to nursing practice. Ethical considerations related to the process of research and the utilization of findings within both research methods are discussed. Prerequisite: an undergraduate course in statistics.
Polit, D.F. & Becker, C.T. (2016). Nursing Research: Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice. (9th ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins. ISBN-10: 1496313356
Quantitative Research Proposal
Research Proposal Outline and Guide
A research proposal must outline the purpose, specific research questions and methods (i.e., sampling, data collection and proposed data analysis) for a quantitative nursing research study on a topic of your choice.
Although your proposal may not have a completely developed literature review / background, it should contain a theoretical framework / theoretical rationale, a table of research relevant to the problem under study, and a summary of the research base including what gaps in the knowledge base the proposed study will fill.
The latest APA guidelines (6th edition, 2010) should be used when writing the proposal.
Statement of the Problem, Research Questions, Hypotheses, Definitions, Assumptions & Limitations
Broad area statement
- The area of forensic nursing that the project is expected to deal with is the issue of sexual assaults in the community
- The issue results in an increase in the challenges in the healthcare standard of an individual since it will lead to trauma or infections
- There is a need for the development of a strategy that will help in ensuring that women are able to identify and confront sexual assaults in the community
- The healthcare providers are responsible for educating the community members regarding the strategies that could be applied in the elimination of sexual assault
- When a woman is sexually assaulted the forensic nurse have the responsibility of assessing the effects of the assault but should as well educate them on the strategies that could help them in avoiding future tragedies of sexual assault
- In the research proposal that PICO question that will be used will be “For women who are admitted to the healthcare facility due to sexual assault (P), does the exposure of women to magazines with inspiring images (prime) (I) as compared to lack of exposure to the magazines (C) help in the enhancing the confrontation of sexual assault after their discharge (O)?”
Population: Women who are admitted to the healthcare facility due to sexual assault
Intervention: Exposure of women to magazines with inspiring images
Comparison: Lack of exposure to the magazines
Outcome: Enhancement of confrontation of sexual assault after discharge
- Sexual assault – This is the case where an individual touch another person without their consent. Sexual assault as indicated by Marshall, McHugh, and Gannon (2017) is one of the forms of sexual violence such as rape.
- Prime– This is the exposure of an individual to images in a magazine that is inspiring and that could help in informing an individual on the necessary steps that should be taken to avoid given issues such as sexual assault. This will be performed on a group of women who are admitted to the healthcare facility as a result of sexual assault.
- Inspiring images– these are images that indicate other individual women who have been able to overcome the issue of rape successfully and have taken part in teaching others on the strategies that would help in avoiding a sexual assault ….
(click here to get full solution)