Professional Development: Write a 500-word APA reflection essay of your experience with the ShadowHealth© virtual assignment(s). At least two scholarly sources in addition to your textbook should be utilized. Answers to the following questions may be included in your reflective essay:
- Choose one antihypertensive medication that you would prescribe for patients newly diagnosed with hypertension. Why did you choose this medication? How does this medication work in the body?
- What would be the choice for second-line therapy? Why? How does this medication work in the body?
- What are the parameters for monitoring the success of the therapy for the first medication?
- Discuss specific patient education based on the prescribed therapy.
- List one or two adverse reactions for the selected agent that would cause you to change therapy.
- What lifestyle changes would you recommend for a patient with hypertension (in addition to medication)?
- Describe one or two drug-drug or drug-food interactions for the selected agent.
A patient suffering from hypertension will have a risk of having a high blood force against the artery walls. The best medication that is to be given to the patient is ACE inhibitors. This is expected to help in the relaxation of the veins and arteries and hence ensuring that there is a reduction of issues of blood pressure. The ACE inhibitors are fundamental in that it will help in the prevention of enzymes in the body from the production of angiotensin II as alluded by de Simone (2020). The selection of this medication is because it has a lower case of side effects.
The choice for second-line therapy
The second therapy that could be preferred for the patients is angiotensin II receptor antagonists (ARBs). This will be intended to help in the management of the quality of the health of patients. The medication will be instrumental in that it inhibits the production of angiotensin II to help in the management of the quality pressure of blood.
Parameters for monitoring the success of the therapy for the first medication
The use of ACE inhibitors is an instrumental process in that the expected outcome will include a reduction in myocardial infarction. The reduction in the issues of stroke, end-stage renal diseases, and the mortality issues with heart failure are eliminated. The medication is preferred because it is largely tolerated and has few contraindications….
(click here to get full solution)