Professional Development Exercises :
- Read the case study presented at the end of Chapter 11 (Guido, p. 222)
- Did the facility have sufficient evidence to suspend the nurse?
- How should the testimony of the other nurses in the unit affect the outcome of this case?
- What additional questions should the institution address before the court rules in this case?
- How would you have ruled in this case?
- Read the case study presented at the end of Chapter 12 (Guido, p. 238)
- Did the ANP have a duty to consult with the child’s physician or another emergency center physician regarding the possibility of child abuse before she reported her findings to the case worker?
- What questions would you anticipate might be asked regarding the injury itself and the possibility that the child had caused her own injury?
- Did the ANP have a duty to report the injury, even though the diagnosis was not absolutely conclusive at the point that the child was initially examined?
- How would you determine liability in this case, assuming that the trial court found liability against any of the three defendants?
- Read the case study presented at the end of Chapter 16 (Guido, p. 329)
- Did the nurse manager have a responsibility to supervise the care of the patient?
- Was the care of this patient appropriately assigned to the LPN by the charge nurse, or could the charge nurse have delegated this patient’s care more appropriately?
- If the charge nurse assigned the care of the patient to the LPN, did she retain any supervisory responsibility that would result in her liability in this case?
- How do the principles associated with delegation and supervision figure into this case?
- How would you decide this case?
Professional Development Exercises
The actions that are taken into account the policy may have an impact on the career of nurses. As a result, there is a need for ensuring that one has an understanding of the policies and guidelines that are in place that are used guiding the licensure they are given. This ensures that a nurse can protect your license. In this paper, a discussion on three case studies is to be taken into account concerning the decision made and the questions that were there.
The case study presented at the end of Chapter 11
Evidence to suspend the nurse
Indeed the suspicion of the nurse was done fairly since there was evidence that supported the suspension. For instance, the nurse removed from pyxis was not the medications that were provided in the paper chart and hence the nurse was liable to their actions. The nurse did not follow the protocol needed in the process of decision making on the removal of the medication and administering it irrespective of the fact that the medication was nor well labeled but she was liable to the actions taken.
The nurse cannot be able to prove herself innocent and this is the first point that leads to her suspension. The errors about drugs were one diverts the drug is an issue of concern in the health setting and there is a need for an investigation to be carried out to ascertain the motivating factor for the nurse to make such actions. This is an important aspect that could even be used in the change of policies in the healthcare organization to ensure that the occurrence does not recur again in the future….
(click here to get full solution)