Write a paper (2,000-2,500 words) in which you apply the concepts of epidemiology and nursing research to a communicable disease. Refer to “Communicable Disease Chain,” “Chain of Infection,” and the CDC website for assistance when completing this assignment.
Communicable Disease Selection
- Hepatitis B
Epidemiology Paper Requirements
- Describe the chosen communicable disease, including causes, symptoms, mode of transmission, complications, treatment, and the demographic of interest (mortality, morbidity, incidence, and prevalence). Is this a reportable disease? If so, provide details about reporting time, whom to report to, etc.
- Describe the social determinants of health and explain how those factors contribute to the development of this disease.
- Discuss the epidemiologic triangle as it relates to the communicable disease you have selected. Include the host factors, agent factors (presence or absence), and environmental factors. Are there any special considerations or notifications for the community, schools, or general population?
- Explain the role of the community health nurse (case finding, reporting, data collection, data analysis, and follow-up) and why demographic data are necessary to the health of the community.
- Identify at least one national agency or organization that addresses the communicable disease chosen and describe how the organizations contribute to resolving or reducing the impact of disease.
- Discuss a global implication of the disease. How is this addressed in other countries or cultures? Is this disease endemic to a particular area? Provide an example.
Application of the concepts of epidemiology
As a nurse, one should have an understanding of the concept of epidemiology to be in a position to offer the best standard of care. With the knowledge, nurses can be able to assess a health concern and put in place the issues of concern that could be faced as well as the challenges that may be faced in the process of delivery of care for patients. This is attributed to the fact that the different health issues that are faced by the patient are affected by different factors. In this case, this paper will present an analysis of epidemiology on tuberculosis as one of the communicable diseases.
Description of a Communicable Disease and the Demographic of Interest
Tuberculosis is the communicable disease that has been selected in this paper. Tuberculosis is an infection that is considered to be dangerous and influences the lungs. The infection is caused by bacteria that spreads from one person to the other by the drops of tiny droplets. This occurs when a patient has had a cough or when one sneezes. The infection is seen from the occurrence in 1985 after the emergence of HIV/AIDS. The condition remains a concern and the condition is a strain and does not resist the drugs as enunciated by Cadena, Fortune, and Flynn (2017).
One of the signs that are seen among patients who are suffering from Tuberculosis is that there is coughing that lasts for three or even for more weeks. The other health issue seen among the patients with TB is the issue of coughing of blood and increasing issues of chest pain. The patient will as well have challenges in breathing and may not be able to control the coughing. The other health risks that one faces are cases of fatigue and fever. Patients suffering from TB as well will have risks of night sweats and chills as well as the loss of appetite….
(click here to get full solution for only $10)